IMSAI NEWS RELEASE - 8048 Single Board Control Computer
San Leandro, California, U.S.A. - IMSAI Manufacturing Corporation is pleased to announce the IMSAI 8048 Control Computer. This complete control computer on an 8 1/2 x 10" board is based on Intel's new 8048 micro computer chip. It is the World's First Single Chip Control Computer that contains all of the
1. 8 Bit CPU
2. 4.2 Microsecond instruction cycle, 96 instructions
3. BCD arithmetic capability
4. 1 K words of ROM or compatible EPROM program memory
5. 64 words of internal register memory
6. 27 I/0 lines
7. Internal Timer/Event counter
8. Oscillator and Clock Driver
9. Reset circuit
10. Interrupt Circuit
11. Uses Single 5-Volt Supply
12. TTL Compatible
In addition, to create a one board user programmable controller suitable for use with model railroads, energy conservation systems, ham radios, household lights, light shows, and a myriad of other applications, the following system features have been added:
1. Cassette Interface.
2. Serial I/0 (RS232, current loop).
3. 5 relays capable of handling 2 Amps at 220 Volts, 3 Amps at 110.
4. 1 K (optional additional 1 K) of user programmable program memory.
5. DC power supply or battery operated.
The Intel 8048/8748/8035 micro-computer chips are designed to accommodate three separate memory spaces: Program memory, Internal data memory (registers), and external data memory.
The Internal data memory is divided into 4 separate, though contiguous, areas: Register bank 0, register bank 1, Stock, and user RAM.
The 8048 series chips are intended for dedicated controller applications. As a result no provisions were made to modify program memory since this is usually a ROM or EPROM. IMSAI has solved this problem by using the same block of RAM as both program memory, which allows the contents to be executed, and as external data memory, which allows the contents to be read or written.
Since direct addressing is only provided for 256 bytes of external data memory automatic paging is provided in the monitor program.
The monitor (described below) is stored in the resident ROM of the 8048 or EPROM of the 8748, or else it is located in external ROM or EPROM when an 8035 is used.
The IMSAI 8048 Control Computer is available in two versions. In the ROM version the system monitor is contained in the 8048/8035 chip itself or in an external ROM. In the other version the monitor is contained in the 8748/8035 chip itself or in a 2716 2K byte EPROM. Both versions contain the 64 byte internal register RAM and 1K byte of external memory with
space for an additional 1 K byte of external memory.
SYSTEM MONITOR FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION
IMSAI 8048 Control Computer provides the following functions:
1. Enter programs into program memory.
2. Enter data into both internal and external memory.
3. Examine any memory location, internal or external.
4. Execute a user program in stand-alone mode.
5. Execute a user program with software breakpoints for debugging.
6. Save/retrieve user programs on cassette tape.
7. Save and retrieve programs from serial port; e.g., teletype paper tape reader.
The IMSAI 8048 Control Computers are offered in both assembled and kit form/Prices are as follows:
IMSAI 8048 Control Computer (ROM version) $249 Kit, $299 Assembled
IMSAI 8048 Control Computer (EPROM version) $399 Kit, $499 Assembled
Five Volt Power Supply $99 (U.S. Domestic Prices)